A couple of CJ - to - English loans?

No Name Available GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Fri Dec 4 19:56:49 UTC 1998

Hi Mike!
I did reply to this "stick" problem before, but I guess you missed it.
So: according to the _Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles_
(1967): stick2 n. [<Chinook Jargon _stik_ wood, tree, forest] ... woods, bush;
stick country ... the wooded country of the interior;
Stick country ... the wooded country of the Stick Indians q.v.;
Stick Indian...an Indian from the bush country of the interior, originally so
called by the Indians of the Pacific Coast. [fistnote] "In the Chinook Jargon,
stick meant anything of wood, from a ship's mast to a forest; hence 'Stick
Indians' were the forest dwellers as opposed to the people of the coast."

And best of all:
sticks n. pl. 1...the bush, wooded interior country...
2 _Slang_ any place distant from urban areas; back country [with a citation
from the  Toronto _Globe and Mail_.]

stick country, Stick country, and Stick Indian are also in Gage (1997) with
attribution to Chinook Jargon (maybe because I wrote the defintions based on
those in the DCHP!)

Anyway, I think there can be little doubt that the expression "the sticks" is
ultimately attributable to CJ!

Barbara.