A couple of CJ - to - English loans?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Dec 5 09:39:41 UTC 1998

At 07:07 PM 12/4/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>Hard not to agree there, Mike.  The most likely confirmation of a guess
>that "the sticks" is a loan translation from Chinook Jargon would be to
>look at NW periodicals of the time.  Add this to my list of things to do
>on lunch breaks from work in downtown Spokane.  Brent, do you have access
>to the old newspaper archives?  Please call me!

Hmmm.  Now _there's_ an obscure search for the Vancouver City Archives
drones, who have all the old periodicals and diaries etc., some of them
computer/fiche indexed........I might even be able to get _them_ to do the
search........

While it occurs to me, here's the "Archives and Repositories" section of my
bookmarks:

http://www.uidaho.edu/special-collections/west.html (Repository of Primary
Sources for Western US and
Canada)

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm (BC Government Archives,
Victoria; web-searchable)

http://www.landdata.gov.bc.ca/  (BC Government Lands Data - probably has
the provincial Gazetteer)

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/index.html (Hudson's Bay Company
Archives, Winnipeg)

These are all included because they have searchable databases; the BC and
Hudson's Bay Archives actually have a lot of stuff available for viewing
on-line, including documents as well as photographs.....

Mike