The things you find in tourist towns

Mon Jul 20 21:15:25 UTC 1998

Hello to everyone,

Let me launch discussion on this list with a pleasant note from my =
camping
trip this weekend.

We were in the North Cascades Mountains, along the Methow River, climbing
one of the trails on Liberty Bell Mountain, and around Hart's Pass.  =
(Some
wonderful places for skinnydipping up there! :-) )

On the way back down, we came through Winthrop, WA, and stopped for some
ice cream.  In the very first shop we entered, there were stacks of a
Chinook Jargon dictionary for $5 a pop!

It's a reprint of a "Guide to British Columbia" that I'm sure many of you
have seen in various incarnations.  The pagination is screwed up, it's =
got
a new hand-drawn cover and yet another person claiming authorship (the
woman who reprinted it to sell in Winthrop), but it's good.

Makes me want to reprint all that old copyright-free material about the
Jargon and make myself a few dollars...

I'm very happy to report that my friend and his fiancee (he proposed to
her up on Liberty Bell) leaped on the book and bought a copy.  We talked
Chinook Jargon all the way home, and they say they're coming to the
Workshop in Mission with me.  Well, I hope so, because I think they'll be
really happy to meet all of you.   As will I.

Note:  We were trying to talk a grizzly into staying away from our camp,
but only when we got to Winthrop did we find that we shouldn't have been
calling him Chetwhoot!  He must have been insulted.  :-O

Best to all of you, and please tell everyone about this list,

Dave