post to ELL?

Tue Jul 21 22:40:37 UTC 1998

<3.0.5.32.19980721102410.0089a9e0 at mail.nvcr1.bc.wave.home.com>

Naika mamook tsum:

>>Would it be appropriate for me to post an announcement
>>of Chinook on the Endangered Languages List?

Mike mamook tsum:

>Sounds like a good place to post to;

OK, I posted the following to ELL:

Chinook Jargon is a pidgin, consisting mainly of words drawn the Chinook
language, with a large admixture of words from Nootka, Canadian French =
and
and English, that was used widely throughtout the Pacific Northwest =
during
the nineteenth century.  Chinook Jargon has a core vocabulary of only =
about
350 words, which are combined with great versatility.

There has been something of a renaissance of interest in the Jargon in
recent years in British Columbia, Washington and Oregon, and now there is
a new e-mail list catering to this interest.  You can join by writing to
<majordomo at tincan.org> with the two-word message: subscribe chinook

Tillikum tikegh wawa kopa Chinook Wawa, klaska chako kunamokst kopa
Chinook List.

Dennis King