More research stuff

David Gene Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Nov 13 20:49:52 UTC 1998

I was reading a book in the Special Collections at the UO Knight Library
by H.G. Barnett called "Indian Shakers: A Messianic Cult of the Pacific
Northwest." I found this quote:

"Shakers everywhere occasionally use the ejaculation 'masi' ... in the
same contexts that the expression 'Hallelujah' and 'Praise the Lord' are
used in Christian revival meetings.  Very few of them however know what it
means <this is probably an opinion>. Enoch Abraham has puzzled over it, and
years ago asked his cousin Joe Riddle about it. Riddle replied that he
didn't know but "guessed" it meant "thank you". Abraham was not satisfied.
He suggested that it sounded much like the proverbial negro corruption of
"master". The word does indeed mean "thank you". It is taken from the
Chinook Jargon in which it was incorporated as a corruption of the French
"merci" <p.234>."

In reading pieces of the book, especially regarding California, Smith
River, Hupa, and Yurok areas, and in relation to the use of Chinook
Jargon, there is an implication of a connection.

There is reference to the 'Chinook Canticles <p.363>" and the fact that
Shaker religion was spread through native communities through the use of
the Jargon. EELLS was know to use it, as well as Wickersham, Mann, and
Slocum. The sermons were conducted in Jargon in at least most communities,
and there is reference to the problems of translation of Christian songs
into native languages.

So, the Shaker religion spread to Siletz 1923, then to Klamath area
1929-30  and afterward to Yurok, Hupa and Smith River. In fact the book
mentions Hupa becoming the hub of Shaker activity.

So my questions are;

 How much was the spread of the Shaker Religion aided
by Chinook Jargon and how much was Chinook Jargon's (recent?) spread aided
by the
Shaker Religion?

Does this point to wide scale previous use of Jargon in Northern
California?

Does this point to the Shaker religion helping spread Jargon?

The book is not very specific about the use of Jargon in the later period
of the Shaker religion's spread into California. So, I guess its time for
other books or to ask someone who knows more of the history of Shakers in
California.

"laska-lulu yaka kanamaqst" (we carry it together)

 "I am alive." Scott Momaday

"We must continue to struggle until we defeat those who have crowned
themselves, those who have helped to take the land from others, those who
make much money with the labor of people like us, those who mock us in
their estates."
>From the:Fourth Declaration of the Lancandon Jungle, 1/1/96.

"haias-masi" (many thanks)

David Lewis