"In many tongues, Alaskans debate English as official =

Sun Oct 4 00:05:59 UTC 1998

language" (fwd)

Hello to all of us!  I don't wish to jam your mailboxes with  stuff you
don't want to hear, but I've gotten many engaging responses to the
English-only posting.  Here's one more.  (I hope you don't mind, =
Wolfgang,
mein Freund!)  --Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:09:43 +0200
=46rom: Wolfgang Kehrein <kehrein at mailer.uni-marburg.de>
To: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject: Re: "In many tongues, Alaskans debate English as official =
language"

Hey, as an outsider and ignorant let me put the following personal
questions:

>the English - only movement

Can't believe it, does something like this really exist?
Don't wanna blame Chomsky, but what do his famous words "take any =
language
for example English" mean then?
And finally:

>"They're not going to be able to speak Yup'ik in Germany.

Who says we're able to speak English out her?

Have a nice day,
Wolfgang