Palmer, Joel. 1906 [1847]. "Journal of Travels over the Rocky , Mountains...

Mon Oct 12 06:19:01 UTC 1998

At 09:41 PM 10/11/98 EDT, lisapeppan at juno.com wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org> writes:
>
>>...to the Mouth of the Columbia River, made during the years 1845 and
>>1846."  Ed. by Reuben Gold Thwaites.  >Cleveland, OH:  Arthur H. Clark
>>[Cincinnati, OH:  J.A. & >U.P. James].
>
>>Page 270: =20
>>
>>	"Tath-la-ham...........10
>>	 Dilo-pe-iht...........11
>>	 Dilo-p-maxt...........12
>>	 Dilo-p-klone..........13
>>	 Dilo-p-lakst..........14
>> 	 Dilo-p-k-winnim.......15
>>	 Dilo-p-ta-hum.........16
>>	 Dilo-p-sin-a-maxt.....17
>>	 Dilo-p-sow-skins......18
>>	 Dilo-p-k-wi-etst......19
>>	 Tath-la-hun makst.....20
>>	 Tath-la-hun klone.....30
>>	 Tath-la-hun lakst.....40
>> 	 [....]
>>	 Tak-o-mo-nuxt........100
>>	 Tak-o-mo-maxt........200
>>	 Tak-o-mo-nuxt klone..300
>>	 Tak-o-mo-nuxt lakst..400
>>	 [....]"
>>
>>Very very interesting, what?  Anyone have explanations? =20
>
>These look like numbers.

How droll.......

I noticed certain aberrations from the Chinook norm in the Palmer list,
also - other than the obvious prononciation changes - most notably the =
word
given for "200", which combines the variant of "tukamonuk" with the =
variant
of "moxt".....

My own transcription of the list - which I don't have time to dig out but=
think I've added to my site; add palmer.html onto the /skookum/ URL and I
think it'll come up - shows something different for the teens and =
mutliples
of ten......but still with the reversal of the "counter" on the
tens.....i.e. instead of moxt tahtlum we have tahtlum moxt, which to me
sounds too much like tahtlum pe moxt......

I think Palmer may either have been pahtlum or pelton.....

Mike
Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com
http://members.home.net/ironmtn/