Fun books in the Spokane Public Library

Fri Oct 23 01:36:33 UTC 1998

Hello...

I was just poking around in the Northwest Room of our main library in
Spokane.  There are some really interesting books here, and I may just
have to lead you all on a tour if you ever come to visit.

One is titled, "Our New States and Territories [etc. etc.]" by Albert D.
Richardson, published in New York by Beadle and Co. in 1866.  It contains
a reference to the Indians who "sit in groups, intently pursuing their
*ma-mook-to-lo* -- literally 'to make, to bet' -- but their general term
for gambling of every description."

Another is Gilbert Malcolm Sproat's "Scenes and Studies of Savage Life",
published in London by Smith, Elder and Co. in 1868.  This one has in it =
vocabulary of the "Aht" language (what we'd now call Ditadaht or
Nitinaht).  You'll recognize several Jargon words here; it's a closely
related language to Nootka.  The first one to strike me was *hy-yu* for
"ten"! =20

Best wishes for happy reading,
Dave