Native American Films at Portland CC

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Fri Apr 2 05:04:27 UTC 1999

Hi.  I was at a PCC campus tonight and saw a flyer for a "Native
American Film Festival" sponsored by NA-PI-HE (Native American People
in Higher Education).  They're showing these films on the Sylvania
campus:

April 2 Smoke Signals
April 9 Thunderheart
April 23 Powwow Highway
April 30 Clearcut

All shown from 3 to 5:30 p.m.

This kind of intrigued me and I wanted to share it as my impression
is these are Native-made contemporary topic films.  I regret there
were no more than these sketchy details on the flyer.  Perhaps
another PDX local who attends the college or someone who recognizes
the film titles can fill us in.

I found a review of "Smoke Signals" at
http://denver.sidewalk.com/detail/31035, where it is described as the
first NA-produced film to have a theatrical release.

"Smoke Signals" and "Thunderheart" are described at
http://itsoch.hypermart.net/movies.htm

"Powwow Highway" review: http://www.99lives.com/movies/powwow.htm

Regards,

Jeff