'horse' (fwd)

Thu Apr 8 23:49:02 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:52:49 -0500
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
To: drobert at tincan.tincan.org
Subject: 'horse'

I look forward to the responses to your questions about the status of
aspiration, etc.

In the meantime, yes, kiutan is the stem for 'horse' in Wasco-Wishram.
The element -tan is most likely from the independent pronoun tan 'thing, what'
(pronounced dan normally by speakers of Wasco-Wishram, but found as tan
downriver (e.g., Kathlamet).
	The first element kiu- may be from Sahaptin.  I think I once knew,
but now forget.  The meaning would be of the form, X-thing.

In Wasco-Wishram, of course there is a noun prefix
	i-kiutan   'a male horse
	a-kiutan    a female horse
	it-kiudan-yukS   plural, primarily in the sense of a group of horses
				near each other.

			Sincerely,
					Dell Hymes