CJ on Umatilla Res? -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Fri Apr 9 16:33:36 UTC 1999

Gregory,

I don't believe that there is any official work on Chinook at Umatilla.
However, I heard a man there say that he knew it.  Unfortunantly I
don''t know him.  Although it might be possible to find him.  Another
comment is that the folks I do know there seem to consider Chinook a
white man's language.  Their perception of it is quite different than on
the West side of the mountains where it was used both Indian to Indian
and Indian to non-Indian.  I believe this is because of the mutual
intelligibility of Sahptian in their area.  They simply didn't need
Chinook in their basic travels.  Another note, I do know that in Yakima
people used it Indian to Indian.  But, in Yakima and Colville their is
more diversity of languages than at Umatilla.   Anyway, good luck.

LaXayEm--Tony
Grand Ronde, OR

>>> Gregory Robison  <grobison at SWIFTUGANDA.COM> 04/08/99 10:28pm >>>
Kampala, 9 April 1999

Is there anyone involved in CJ on the Umatilla Reservation in Oregon?