CJ phonemes

David Gene Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Apr 13 19:43:23 UTC 1999

Regarding usage of CJ in Oregon: Hymes has stated that he believe that CJ
crystallized before White contact. And in my own research i have found
that there are many loan words from CJ into Kalapuya. I believe the
Kalapuyans knew it and they participated in large gatherings with peoples
of the whole region in The Dalles, at Chemeketa and other meeting places.

Also Gibbs encountered a CJ speaking young man in Northern California, a
member of Athapaskans in Oregon during the McKee treaty making expedition
in 1851. The language file from National Archives is labelled Athapaskan
but only the first page is, while the rest is all CJ. CJ must have been
wider spread than currently known and there were likely to be partial
speakers even further afield.

Partial speakers may have learned the
language only partially to facilitate travel through Chinook lands,
communication during ceremonial gatherings, wives from other tribes,
slavery, etc.

By the way I'm glad to see mentioned again the pre-contact origins of
ChInUk-wawa.  An interesting conversation yesterday with Scott DeLancey
of the U of Oregon centered around the fact that we should likely see an
English based Jargon/Pidgin/Creole in our area if there was not a
pre-contact Native one already filling the need.  He stated that sailors
had a Jargon that they used throughtout the world for trade, and the
fact that a Native based Jargon survived here shows that it was serving
the function just fine.