<shabon> ... this gets kind of technical ...

Sun Apr 4 14:52:49 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, David Lewis wrote:

> to European-style cultural settlements as the only true permanent
> settlements needs to be challenged. It might even be called an ethnocentric
> theory out of the past. This is a serious fallacy in anthropological theory
> which I will challenge whenever it appears. I think the indigenous
> perspective needs to be recognized here as manytimes even the colonial
> trading centers were placed near or on top of an already well established
> pre-historic cultural site.

Yes, and thus I fine-tuned what I was saying as I said it:  Not just
'permanent settlements' (of any cultural group, as noted), but 'frequent,
and perduring, contacts' occurring there.  It would seem we're in
agreement, wigna?

NB.  I think it would be difficult for colonialists to manage not placing
their establishments on any of the numberless prehistoric cultural sites
in North America.

Dave R.