Separate list? Other questions also.

Sat Aug 28 03:44:52 UTC 1999

LaXayEm,

Interesting and unexpected developments have come up on this list, haven't
they?  I'm pleased.

First, anyone who speaks abusively will be removed by me directly from the
group.  It's the easiest way to do things, you cultus bastards.

Humor!  --As Emmett has noticed, it's very welcome when you're trying to
learn...

Next:  Do we need a separate list for the purpose of discussion in ChInUk
Wawa?  I'm able and willing to launch and moderate such a group.  Another
way to do it is to have "topics" specified in the LISTSERV programming,
such that each posting is labeled according to its general subject matter
-- Each subscriber would specify to the computer *which* topics she or he
wants to receive.

*However*, I'd be sad to see this happen.  It's very
important to have a community of people concerned with the language, and
that includes both speakers and researchers (among others).  Your efforts
are a welcome sign that the language is revitalizing.  I can't speak for
Tony and the Grand Ronde program, but I know that I get many ideas for the
teaching and analysis of ChInUk by reading what you folks write, and by
writing in the language myself.

Lastly, in regard to your wanting to know more about the technical side of
this list, and wanting feedback on what is "Lush ChInUk" and what's
"mEsachi ChInUk"...I'm quite willing and able to provide some information.
Tony, as you all know, is very very busy with the language program in his
community, but perhaps between him, me, Henry, Zvjezdana, and other
unwitting "volunteers", some fairly frequent pointers can be offered.
This would be really nice to see.

At the Lu7lu, Jeff asked me to recommend a good introductory linguistics
textbook, and now Nadja is inquiring along the same track.  Frankly, I've
been out of those sorts of classes for years, and I only recall the text
by Akmajian, Demers and Harnish that we used at Columbia.  My feeling is
that *every* general ling. text I've looked at would be of use to a
beginner, as there's a pretty standard range of stuff that they'll all
cover.  Any particular questions you have?--I'm eager to answer them
personally.

Thanks for letting me go on so!

Hayash mehrsi,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html