stop me if you've heard this one: maLini (fwd)

Sun Aug 29 22:50:37 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:14:26 -0500
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
To: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject: Re: stop me if you've heard this one:  maLini

I can't judge whether or not Nootka may have contributed to the use of the
word in CJ, but certainly Chinookan did.  All the Chinookan languages,
including
those near the mouth of the Columbia, have maL as the root for words having
to do with significant bodies of water.  And -ni is a directional suffix.
The match is perfect.  No conjecture required.