Wik Ya?im, keschi hiyu nah. -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Mon Aug 30 16:06:16 UTC 1999

Kanawi-Laksta,

Just a couple of notes...

>>> Nadja Adolf <nadolf at NAVITEL.COM> 08/27/99 12:02pm >>>
Na iktah elip Lush wawa - "Kata mayka wawa ____ kapa Chinuk" kapa "Kata
wawa
mayka kapa Chinuk"?

The first looks better.  ie: "Qhata mayka wawa khamEks khapa
bastEn-wawa?"  "How do you say dog in English?"

What is the best talk - How you say ____ in Chinook" or "How say you in
Chinook"?

Keschi, Nah nayka wegt.

But, I question again.

Na iktah elip Lush wawa - "Yaka man yaka papa munk kahkwa" kapa "Yaka
man
yaka papa kahkwa munk."

What is the best talk "his father did the same" or his "father same
did"?

"Dreht-kakwa" is exactly the same.  Jargon, like English allows a
variety of ways to say something like this.   I might say:  "Yaka phapha
munk dreht-kakwa yaka."

Also, in my question "Nah iktah elip wawa" Is iktah the right word to
use?
Should I use "klaska" instead, or something else? My temptation was to
use
klaska, but I wasn't sure. Should there be a "yaka" in the first
sentence?
Is the "kapa" needed or is it surplus?

I can't really speak to the "na" question marker.  It is quite rare in
the Chinook that I am familiar with.  Someone else might speak to it
though.  Questions are typically marked with stress.  Or when written a
question mark.

Is my email subject invalid? May one use na to mean a question as a
noun, or
just as an interrogative indicating a question?

Can someone recommend a grammar book or linguistics book so that a
non-linguist can understand some of the terms that people use here?

LaXayEm--Tony