The Kalapuyans

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Aug 30 19:11:28 UTC 1999

In going through Box 2 of SWORP 2, I was lucky enough to come across Gibbs'
linguistic fieldnotes from Champoeg which he was able to obtain while the
treaty was being negotiated and signed. I believe these are the same notes
referred to in Harold Mackey's book "The Kalapuyans" in which he states is
'missing'. It appears in the bibliography of the book that Mr. Mackey spent
none or little time at the National Anthropological Archives at the Museum
of Natural History in Washington DC or he would have probably been able to
find this file as we did. The file listing will be in the next attachment
for Box 2 of SWORP 2.

David