[ykboo] Tonight's Talking Earth-- Monday 12/6 KBOO : 10 PM (fwd) -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Wed Dec 8 19:42:59 UTC 1999

Kanawi-Laksta,

Forgive me but, this man, his publicity, and his book are really
starting to burn my butt (for lack of a better expression).

For those of you who don't know me let me qualify my statements.  I am a
Chinook Indian.  I am Kathlamet, Lower Chinook and Clatsop.  My great
great gradmother was born in her Kathlamet speaking village just East of
Gray's river.  Her husband was born on the "Wallicut" River.  They lived
in my grandma's village.  Their daughter, my father's grandmother, was
born there also.  She later moved with many of our people to a still
occupied village at Bat Center, WA  (in Chinook country).

>>> peter webster <peterweb at TELEPORT.COM> 12/06/99 02:30am >>>
>X-From_: owner-ykboo at holodoc.peak.org Mon Dec 06 21:53:34 1999
>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:48:00 -0800 (PST)
>From: MichaelP <papadop at peak.org>
>To: Yaney_Maciver at ex.cv.hp.com, cherie <cblackfeather at uswest.net>,
>        crowx4 at hotmail.com, ingramm at ccmail.orst.edu,
>        Jessica Lamb <jessl at caclbca.org>, weaverr at ucs.orst.edu,
ykboo at peak.org
>Subject: [ykboo] Tonight's Talking Earth-- Monday 12/6 KBOO : 10 PM
(fwd)
>Sender: owner-ykboo at peak.org
>
>Subject: Tonight's Talking Earth-- Monday 12/6 KBOO 90.7 FM,92.7FM,
>100.7FM 10 PM
>
>Talking Earth Monday Night December 6, 1999
>Naked Against the Rain and the craft of Enduring and Beautiful Books
with
>Rick Rubin and John Laursen
>

> "Once there was a people so wealthy, plump and sleek that they drank
sea
>lion oil straight and didn't have to look for food all winter long.
They
> [...]
>pleasure.  That river-- we call it the Columbia-- was all they ever
wanted.
>It provided them with more than they could use.  Fish in profusion swim
up
>the river-- they called it Wimhl-- salmon, sturgeon, smelt and lamprey
came,
>each in its season, to offer their flesh to the people"
>
>                      from "Naked Against the Rain," by Rick Rubin,
>                        Press-22 Books, 1999
>

>Rick Rubin,  in the kind of madness that sometimes seizes writers,
needed to
>do research to pin down some details about the way of life of the
people of
>Portland and the lower Columbia River for the second chapter of a book
he
>was writing, and ended up spending more than ten years researching the
>Chinook.
>
>There is little left of Chinook culture now other than evocative
artifact and
>a scattered written  record compiled by whites, largely in diaries and
>letters, and articles in archaeological and historical journals,
student
>papers, magazines and newspapers. Until Naked Against the Rain, only a
few
>books were published that tried to pull all the historical record
together,
>and those few books were marred by cultural prejudice and a dense
academic
>prose.
>
>Naked Against the Rain combines scholarship and accessability in a
>beautifully written book that opens  the window on a way of life and a
people
>which drew on the wealth of the river to make them wealthy, a people
who
>managed their riches so well that they remained wealthy for thousands
of
>years.
>
>Naked Against the Rain is a book that will endure, but, in the kind of
>madness endemic to this country's literary life, Rick spent years
trying to
>find a publisher until, determined to get it out, he published it
himself.
>Like many other Northwest writers whose aim is to produce enduring
>literature,  Rick turned to John Laursen, master book designer, for
help in
>designing and producing.   John joins Rick at 10 P.M. tonight on KBOO
to talk
>with Barbara LaMorticella about the Chinook, and about process
producing
>"Naked in the Rain."
>
>The end of a century which is perilously close to extincting the
biological
>miracles of the salmon and the smelt seems a good time to get a fresh
take on
>our forerunners on the Columbia, and Rick's labor of love will be read

peter