[ykboo] Tonight's Talking Earth

Robert Moore rem10 at IS5.NYU.EDU
Wed Dec 8 20:58:44 UTC 1999

Hi,

I have "lurked" on this list since shortly after its inception, but have
never before spoken up, being an excessively shy person, as will become
clear.

Seriously, having just read Tony Johnson's excellent letter(s), I want to
register my enthusiastic agreement with everything he said.  I have no
Native ancestors (so far as I know), but I have since the early 1980s done
linguistic and ethnographic fieldwork with many people of Chinookan
descent--fluent Chinookan speakers, semi-fluent ones (by their own
estimation, not mine), and many others, at Warm Springs, Yakama, and
elsewhere in the region.  I have always valued their friendship, to say
nothing of their extraordinary forebearance in the face of my many gaffes
and stumbles, linguistic and otherwise--and I have never gotten the
impression that any of them were "extinct."  Quite the contrary.

I would never describe these people as "wealthy, plump and sleek," and I
never met anybody who "drank sea lion oil straight," whatever that might
mean.  This is really about as unseemly as it gets, in my opinion.

Subscribers to this list should know (if they don't already) that Rick
Rubin has been "operating" for a long time in the Portland area, much to
the infuriation of me and many others (Native and non-Native) who care, and
actually know something about, the Indian people of the area; this latest
is only one in a long series of (self-published) books, each one seemingly
more obnoxious, misleading, and ignorant than the last.  And now apparently
he is making public appearances where he sometimes has the misfortune to
meet people face to face whom he has declared "extinct."  Good enough for
him, I say, though silence--radio and otherwise--would be far preferable.
It is dismaying to hear that KBOO has given him a "platform" to air his
views, but then KBOO, while mostly well-intentioned, has perhaps never been
accused of being a citadel of worldly sophistication, political or
otherwise.  (Memo to the station manager: more conspiracy theories,
please!).

Not that infuriating me, or Tony Johnson's aunties, was probably ever
Rubin's intention--becoming "wealthy, plump and sleek" is probably more
like it.  I really don't know what he is up to, but if that's his plan,
let's none of us do anything to help him.  He is, to borrow a lexical item
from a language that contributed significantly (though far less than 55%)
to our beloved Chinook Wawa, a _poseur_, at best--_pas serieux_.

For reference purposes I append below a copy of Tony Johnson's fine message
of earlier today, as well as the repellent blurbology that accompanied
KBOO's announcement of the 6 December appearance (apologies for this last
item).  Thanks for "list[en]ing," and keep up the good work.

Klahawya,

Robert Moore

Robert E. Moore
Department of Anthropology