Learn about the Chinook people here!

Fri Dec 10 03:38:06 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm;

It's good to see a very interesting and lively thread like this on our
list.  (Even if everyone's writing in English!)  :-)

Not having seen the book, and not being a fan of that one written by Ruby
and Brown (? right ?), I'd just like to say that one of the very best
places to learn things about the Chinook people in writing is right here.
Stay tuned.

I also heartily recommend, though, Leslie Spier & Edward Sapir "Wishram
Ethnography", as a splendid start on understanding something of the way
the people used to live, a way of life that's importantly related to how
things are in the present for them.

There are also books by Franz Boas, Edward Sapir, and others, which
collect large numbers of the ancient, inherited stories told by Chinook
people.  You might specifically look for the words Kathlamet, Clatsop,
Wasco, and Wishram, for example, to find these entertaining, illuminating
"ikanEm".

Now, as Tony and Bob have rightly more than implied, it would be best to
learn about the people's past from the people themselves.  Until all of us
are able to do so, I'm offering the above handful of suggestions.

More references to particularly good magazine articles, for example, could
be of great interest to folks on our list.  Anybody have some?

Best wishes,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html