(B)Oregonian book review, etc.

peter webster peterweb at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Dec 12 02:03:23 UTC 1999

Hmm. Well this Sunday's Oregonian picked Rubin's book as one of the top ten
(#9) regional books of the year. i'm going to try to stop spinning my
wheels and write a rebuttal with a serious approach, rather than the
frothing that comes so easily to me. On the other hand, there's a rather
nice article on people's efforts to maintain Native culture and life here
in the state. On the third hand, I have a letter in there (ahem, modesty
becomes me).

Haven't read Beckham's "This Land, etc" for years. His "Requiem for a
People" tho, was very informative for me when I first read it twenty or so
years ago--and I thought was a good job of homework, research, analysis,
and good prose. Certainly was a clear exposition--and explosion-- of the
fantasy of oregon pioneers tamed a virgin and vacant land. I owe him for
that.

peter