Ikta

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Dec 20 19:36:32 UTC 1999

At 11:24 AM 12/20/99 -0800, Jim Holton wrote:
>Qhata mEsayka!   Nayka IskEm ukuk ikta khapa six khapa Victoria.  AlaXti
>mEsayka tIki.
>
>"Jim,
>
>Not at all - my pleasure, too.
>
>Bye the bye, our local paper has been publishing extracts from their
>1899
>edition every day this year under the heading, "A Century Ago." Today's
>entry (for Dec. 20, 1899) states that local businessmen petitioned the
>Indian Dept., complaining that city council's decision to combine the
>office of Chinook interpreter with that of assistant police court
>prosecutor was not in accord with the principles of British justice.
>
>Kloshe Kahkwa!

Kahkwa??  Maika "local paper" mitlite kopa California, na?  Kahkwa
Kingchauch law mitlite kopa Boston Illahee, wake na?  Naika kilapi tumtum.....

Mitlite cultus, yaka lawman chako kopa wawa man weght.  Elip kloshe, spose
yaka wawa man skookum wawa kopa law, wake kahkwa law man.

Huh?  Your local paper is in California, isn't it?  How British justice is
in the US, I don't know.  I'm confused.

It was bad, this prosecutor becoming the translator as well.  It would have
been fair if the translator could speak to the law, not as the prosecutor.
(here I was trying to talk about independent representation in
jurisprudence, but didn't want to try and lay that out in Chinook).

xxxxx again, the question of the existence of any Jargon court records
raises its head.  I still haven't gotten into the Archives in Victoria,
although I may get a friend of mine who work in native law (at U.Vic.) to
see what he might know......

Later

Mike