[Fwd: Re: copper canoe legends]

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Dec 29 20:56:45 UTC 1999

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: copper canoe legends
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:58:23 -0800
From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
To: Linda Fink <linda at FINK.COM>, CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.o

Linda Fink wrote:

> Well, these are fascinating! I've never heard either of the legends
> mentioned so far. The one I heard is a Nootka legend. Long ago, from the
> waters of Whulge, a man came to the Nootkas in a copper canoe, bright as the
> sun. His paddles were also copper. Men said he came from the sky to teach
> them not to fight. At first the Nootkas listened, then they became angry and
> killed him. They were sorry after they killed him. Therefore they carve
> images of him for their houses, even to this day. Anyone know anything about
> these images or this story?
>
> Please keep the stories coming! Hyash mahsie.

Now, one kind of ethnographer would start extrapolating on these various
copper-canoe stories, going so far (as Levi-Strauss) might that they
were
actually all originally the same tale.  However, in this region it's
worth
considering that each legend might very well represent a different
landing and a
different encounter experience...........