Edward, Wm. Seymour. "In To the Yukon." Cincinnati: Robert , Clarke, 1905.

Wed Jan 13 05:06:54 UTC 1999

I could've also titled this message "The Chinook Jargon influence on
Yukon English."  Quite interesting stuff,here:

Page 82:  "On the way up we fell in with a very intelligent Swede....  He
had come in [to the Klondike] with the "mushers" (corruption of the French
m a r c h e), as the early foot-farers are called, and had succeeded."

Page 153:  "Day before yesterday I took the six-horse stage up Bonanza
Creek of the Klondike ... to "Discovery" claim, where a Cleveland (O.)
company is ... paying the Indian "Skookum Jim", whose house we saw at
Caribou, a royalty ...."

Page 166:  "And those who are homesick ... come ... to the tall,
well-gowned woman [who] ... has given new heart to many a lonely
"chechaqua" (tenderfoot), so far away from home!"

Page 191:  "When traveling with a dog team, or, indeed, when "mushing"
upon snow-shoes across streams and forests ...."

Pages 139, 168, 174, 203:  Same usage of "mush".  Note that Edwards *never
once* uses the word to mean traveling by sled-dog.  In fact he frequently
discusses that mode of travel, and yet pointedly says that "mushing" means
slogging across rough terrain, generally a long distance.  So as of 1905,
this presumable loan from Chinook Jargon had not yet acquired its
later and more widely known meaning.  So, I'd reckon that early Klondike
dog-sledders *told* their dogs to mush, but considered themselves apart
from "mushers".

Note also the variant on "chee chako" / "chxi chaku", and the presence of
"skookum" in the local English.

Hope you enjoyed this one!

Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!