Jewitt etc

Liland Brajant ROS' lilandbr at SCN.ORG
Thu Jan 14 03:32:58 UTC 1999

Sally scripsit:

>There is a small amount of literature on that Nootka jargon or
>pre-pidgin or whatever it was -- an article by Sturtevant (in a
>newsletter: I forget the title, but it's from about 15 years
>ago, I think).  It's pretty clear, from the distorted phonology
>of the Nootka words in Chinook Jargon, that they were introduced
>into CJ by whites, or by Natives using Nootka Jargon, and not
>by Nootka speakers themselves.  The other really interesting
>thing about those Nootka-origin words in CJ is that, although
>there aren't all that many of them (a couple of dozen, maybe,
>or maybe fewer), they are mostly quite basic vocabulary items.

Are there any Portuguese-origin items in CJ?  (The prominence of the
relatively small number of Nootkan words in the CJ vocabulary reminded me
of the prominence and persistence of "sabe/sabi/saber/savvy" in many
English- and French-type pidgins that arose on the middens of earlier
Portuguese-based ones.)  Any of you sociolinguists care to pronounce on
the implications of the Nootkan in CJ for the analysis of the relative
prestige status of the Nootkan vis-a-vis the Chinookan tribes of the region?

Leland

--
Liland Brajant Ros' * UEA-D, Seatlo Usono * FD Baptismo, AA, US-lit-ro
      204 N 39th St / Seattle WA 98103 Usono | tel 206-633-2434
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / lbrnpusa at hotmail.com
        webpage "La Lilandejo" - http://www.scn.org/~lilandbr/