Historical Chinook Material Online?

Peter Cawley pcawley at ISLAND.NET
Sat Jun 5 18:08:02 UTC 1999

The following message was copied onto the BC Teacher-Librarian list. There
seems to be an exciting quantity of historical text  available on-line.

A subject search of "Chinook" brought up eight titles. I have not had time
to examine all of them yet, but a quick preliminary survey indicates the
the kind of material that will interest readers of the Chinook list.

Peter Cawley
pcawley at island.net

>Canada's Printed Heritage Via Internet
>
>TORONTO, May 1999 --  Early Canadiana Online (ECO) is up and running.
>This innovative project is moving Canada=EDs printed heritage on to the
>Internet at:
>
>	http://www.canadiana.org
>
>Now, viewers in Canada and around the world can experience online some
>of the most significant people and events that have shaped the nation.
>
>To date, the full text of  some 2600 books and pamphlets originally
>published between the 16th and early 20th centuries have been scanned
>and are now available on the Internet.  Subject areas include Canadian
>literature, women=EDs history, travel and exploration, the history of
>French Canada and native studies. By August, the ECO database will
>comprise some 3200 titles, one third of which will be in French.
>
>Early Canadiana Online is a collaborative project of the Canadian
>Institute for Historical Microreproductions (CIHM), the National Library
>of Canada, Laval University Library, Biblioth=CBque nationale du Qu=C8bec,
>and the University of Toronto Library.
>
>Funding for the project has been provided by the Andrew W. Mellon
>Foundation, the Canada Millennium Partnership Program, the Royal Bank
>Financial Group, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of
>Canada, the Chawkers Foundation, Foreign Affairs and International
>Trade, the Hudson=EDs Bay History Foundation, Canadian Heritage, Imasco
>Ltd., the Crabtree Family Foundation, the Birks Family Foundation, and
>the Jackman Foundation.
>

>For further information, contact:
>
>Pam Bjornson (613) 235-2628
>Project Steering Committee
>
>Karen Turko (416) 978-7119
>Project Manager

_______________

1)  Dictionary of the Chinook jargon
   36 pages.
   (Victoria, B.C. : T.N. Hibben, 18-- )

 2) Bibliography of the Chinookan languages (including the Chinook jargon)
   Pilling, James Constantine, 1846-1895.
   97 pages.
   (Washington : G.P.O., 1893.)

3)  An international idiom : a manual of the Oregon trade language, or
"Chinook jargon" / by Horatio Hale.
   Hale, Horatio, 1817-1896.
   107 pages.
   (London : Whittaker, 1890.)

4)  Chinook first reading book : including hymns, syllabary and vocabulary
/ by J.M.R. Le Jeune.
   Le Jeune, J. M. R. (Jean Marie Rapha=EBl), 1855-1930.
   7 pages.
   (Kamloops B.C. : s.n. , 1893.)

5)  Esquisse d'une grammaire de la langue innok .
   Henry, Victor, 1850-1907.
   41 pages.
   (Paris? : s.n., 1878? )

6)    Chinook dictionary, catechism, prayers and hymns
   Demers, Modeste, 1809-1871.; Blanchet, Francis Norbert, 1795-1883.
   76 pages.
   (Montreal : s.n. , 1871.)

7)  A vocabulary and outlines of grammar of the Nitlakapamuk or Thompson
tongue : the Indian language spoken between Yale, Lillooet, Cache Creek and
Nicola Lake : together with a
phonetic Chinook dictionary, adapted for use  in the province of British
Columbia / by J. B. Good.
   Good, J. B. (John Booth), 1833-1916.
   48 pages.
   (Victoria, B.C.?: s.n. , 1880)

 8)  Dictionary of the Chinook jargon : to which is added numerous
conversations, therby enabling any person to speak
   Chinook correctly.
   Blanchet, F. N. (Fran=E7ois Norbert), 1795-1883.
   29 pages.
(Portland, Or. : S.J. M'Cormick, 1869? )