my eco-myth in CJ

Andy Nousen anousen at PROAXIS.COM
Wed Jun 16 04:56:34 UTC 1999

Tillikums,
I did the following as an exercise to help me learn Chinook Jargon. I would
welcome any edifying criticism on my use of the language. As far as content
goes, it is not intended to be "true" or "authentic", just a story I made
up myself, ok? ;)  --Andy Nousen

                             --o--

Hiyu ahnkuttie, halo tillikums mitlite kopa illahee.
Wake kahkwa alta, man halo mamook house pe hiyu stik mitlite kopa illahee.
Hiyu itswoot pe moolack mitlite kopa stick.
Stick mamook illahee wake klatawa saghalie kopa koosah.
Hiyu chakchak mitlite kopa klale koosah.
Stick mamook illahee wake klatawa keekwullie kopa chuck.
Hiyu salmon pe nawamuks mitlite kopa klale chuck.
Stick kopa illahee delate mitlite house.
Man, yaka kokshut kloshe hyas house pe mamook hiyu pesachie house.

Much ago, no people be on earth.
Not like now, man none build house and much tree be on land.
Much black bear and elk be in tree.
Tree make land not go up in sky.
Much eagle be in clear sky.
Tree make land not go down in water.
Much otter and salmon be in clear water.
Tree on land truly be house.
Man, he break good big house and make much bad house.