uk ilEp chInUk lu7lu yaka CD

Sat Jun 19 04:05:50 UTC 1999

Lush san, shiXs,

The CD from our first Chinook Gathering has arrived!

You have to have attended that gathering in order to receive a copy, and
it's for the use of that group only.  But I want to go on public record
saying that this is a fantastic tool!  Jim Holton, Jeff Kopp, Tony
Johnson, and everyone who helped on the project should feel very proud.

These are the first and only recordings of Chinook Jargon ever made
available outside of Indian groups and academia, I think.

I found the CD to be a XEpay'-lakaseht (cedar chest) full of knowledge.
Simply hearing the recordings of Indian pronunciation of CJ is a wonderful
learning experience.

The songs are excellent, too.

If you all would like, I can probably find time to transcribe the older,
lower-quality recordings so that you can read along with them and consult
a dictionary for help.

Here's hoping for another CD of materials to emerge from this year's
conference!

(I can't keep a secret:  I'm hoping for storytelling, songs,
and poems at this summer's gathering.  It would be very nice to be able to
share that kind of stuff via a CD.  --Or a CD-ROM, even?)

mEsayka munk dreht Lush, tIlIxam!  /  Good job, guys!

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html