Parkvall re Bakker re N. American pidgin genesis

Sun Jun 20 02:16:35 UTC 1999

LaXiyEm!

It's good to see the interest sparked by Bakker's points.

I think that Sally Thomason and Terrence Kaufman might have a more
pithy way of stating this, but let me try to summarize while simplifying:

Pidgins emerge in classic "trading" situations.  That is to say, in a
milieu of relatively casual and sporadic intergroup contact.

Creole languages tend to come about in situations of more intense and
protracted interaction of groups.

I believe that Chinook Jargon is certainly a pidgin, and maybe one which
as they say "crystallized" into something with commonly followed
grammatical rules; a creole, that is.

From the earliest historical record of a Chinook-Jargon-looking language,
in Nuu-chah-nulth (Nootka) land on Vancouver Island, to the Chinooks'
contact with Lewis and Clark at the mouth of the Columbia River, and
thence chronologically to Puget Sound, north along the coast, and inland,
this language was first used in trade.  Let's include treaty negotiations
under the rubric of trade, as well.

Certainly missionaries played a huge role in the stabilization of Chinook
Jargon, perhaps more than immigration and settlement did.  The Indians who
converted to Christianity very often had constant contact with the
missionaries, and the missionaries, whether excellent linguists like
J.M.R. Le Jeune or admittedly bad ones like Myron Eells, tended to rely
on Chinook Jargon for proselytizing.

By contrast, I should suspect that only a relatively few Indian people,
spending a great deal of time in or near white settlements, had extended
contacts with whites.

The point is that it's most likely that this language emerged in a classic
pidgin situation, and that if it creolized, it most likely did so due to a
newer situation of sustained, close contact among dissimilar groups.
--The best example of which is probably shown in the history of the Grand
Ronde Reservation tribes, being thrown together into a very small area
suddenly.

Forgive me if I ramble.  I know I'm very tired after a long day of work
and research.

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html