This week's quiz, courtesy of an English dictionary!

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Jun 20 22:07:11 UTC 1999

Well, about thirty years ago, after relying on Webster's throughout
my childhood, came the jarring experience of the American Heritage
Dictionary, with its contemporary "usage panel" and more modern
spellings.  I got used to it over about the next ten years, and the
dictionary got better as it went on.  My favorite dictionary now is
the Windows 3.1 electronic version of the AHD on CD, which can be had
on the discount shelves of computer stores for around $10 (pressed by
some outfit called The Learning Company).  (It runs just fine under
Win95 and I can share a trick with you to keep it from asking for the
CD each time you run it.  The sound files--yes, it optionally
talks--are on the CD.)  I just point and click on a word and the
AHD's full definition, etymology and thesaurus entries come right up.

Regards,

Jeff