P. Bakker re 3 factors tending against pidgins in N. America

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Jun 20 22:07:13 UTC 1999

Hi.  Well, a couple factors which might have prompted the development
of the Jargon occur to me, from my layman's, guess-and-by-golly way
of reckoning:

On the frontier, communication across cultures and languages was not
merely useful and profitable, it was necessary for survival.  The
very first whites could never have made it out here without the
willing native assistance and hospitality which was freely extended
for the first several decades.

The Jargon died out not only with the near-demise of the natives but
also with the establishment of English as the universal language of
the far West in the mid-19th century.  During the Jargon's heyday, it
was genuinely uncertain for a while whether we would end up speaking
English, French, German, or perhaps even something else out here.  (A
few centuries earlier Chinese had some potential, and Mike Cleven's
tracing of such native words which found their way into the
jargon--such as "Tyee"--from Mandarin are intriguing.)

Whites may have been able to handle other native languages better
than those found around here.  I have read that the Germanically
complex and guttural proper Chinookan was difficult for whites to
grasp and virtually impossible for whites to pronounce.  (I wonder
sometimes how much of Tony's Jargon pronunciation is the result of
his ancestry or of his dental work.)  Also, the linguistic diversity
among the natives here fostered the development of a pantribal jargon
rather than the adoption of one particular native language as a
secondary trading tongue.

Regards,

Jeff