trade and CJ

David Gene Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Jun 21 16:59:09 UTC 1999

For a really great essay on the extensive trade between the
Dalles-lillooet- or Fraser, Okanagan, Columbia river complexes look to

Hayden, B. and R. Schulting (1997) The Plateau Interaction Sphere and the
Late Prehistoric Cultural Complexity. American Antiquity 62(1):51-85.

THis article shows that the trade networks were extensive in this area and
show what types of resources were traded. The extensiveness of this leads
me to believe that CJs use as a trade language was quite extensive, more
so than we may realize, and that it definitely crystalized earlier than
white contact. I think it is necessary to realize that Indian trade was
complex and extensive and that there may have been a collapse of trade
networks through catastrophic disease events. These networks may not have
been evident when whites moved into the area and may have been
re-established with the added influx of alien settlement in the area. How
to prove this is another question which remains to be examined.

In Spirit
David