Enit? being non-native

Wed Jun 23 04:36:34 UTC 1999

hey, Jeff,

I object.  I don't doubt "enit" is native; look at the use of it among the
Spokanes and up in Lillooet country with "oozit".  These function much
like Salish interrogative particles and such.  No matter that there are
similar-sounding interjections in other dialects of English in North
America -- What we have here is the so-called "Red English".

(Which I have the dickens of a time finding research papers on.  Doesn't
anybody study this?)

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html