Laksta kEmtEks?: This week's quiz

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sat Jun 26 05:41:05 UTC 1999

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:31:56 -0700, you wrote:

>3)  mayka kEmtEks Ikta anqEti sandi Laska t!u7wan khapa Seattle, ilEp
>khapa uk "Seafair"?
>
>3)  Do you know what celebration they used to have in Seattle, before
>there was a Seafair?

They had some kind of "potlatch" festival hosted by "tribes" of
prominent Seattleites, I think.  It wound down during the late 1920s
or depression or maybe WWII?  I seem to recall reading about it in
Nard Jones' book "Seattle."  I've also seen a picture someplace of a
parade with people dancing in great, enormously tall masks on what
looks like Alaskan Way.