CJ development path (was Race and ChInUk Wawa)

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Sun Jun 27 19:55:46 UTC 1999

Bravo!  Thanks to Dave for forwarding this smashing message.  I
follow Sally's path on the CJ ascendancy and it makes perfect sense
to me, though she stepped quickly through a couple stages.

What I gathered from her message is this:

CJ developed among the natives prior to contact, most likely among
and alongside other intertribal communication methods now lost to
memory.

The likely role of the exchange of slaves in the development of CJ is
noted.

The Nootka Jargon came into the CJ via the whites, as the Nootkan
vocabulary in the CJ bears marks of white pronunciation.

The missionaries got here after CJ was established and relatively
stable.

Next we need to determine when and where the Nootkan/Chinook jargons
became merged, and to what extent the North West/Hudsons Bay
activities influenced it.  I think the legend (now regarded as myth)
that the CJ was a product of the Hudsons Bay camps might have a bit
of truth in it in this regard; perhaps the admixture of Nootka and
French to the preexisting CJ occurred there.

I got excited when it occurred to me that in light of this
development path, we might be able to reconstruct the pre-contact CJ
by filtering out the Nootka, English and French vocabulary and
marking off the non-native structure and grammar, but Dave thinks it
will still be a bit of a stretch.  However, I now think the
precontact CJ might not be as distant and unrecoverable as I had
previously supposed.

I asked Dave if this is a new theory (as I hadn't heard of it), and
he replied that Sally had developed this about 20 years ago, and
shared with me the name of her paper:  "Chinook Jargon in Areal and
Historical Context", _Language_, 59:820-870 (1983), and me also
mentioned Sally Thomason's and Terrence Kaufman's book "Language
Contact, Creolization, and Genetic Linguistics."

Regards,

Jeff