Mitchif vs. French vs. English

terry glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Sat Mar 6 22:54:43 UTC 1999

great little thread here. i read recently that gaelic was the second
language in canada, before french, around the turn of the century, and
during laurier's administration (i believe it was laurier's) there was a
private members' bill in the house of commons, which failed only barely,
that would have established gaelic with english and french as an official
language.

mike refers to samadlin's wife (donald maclean's wife) as chilcotin. can't
remember her name, but i was sure she was northern shuswap or southern
carrier.

also, mike wrote: "One hopes that many of those natives with
Irish or Scottish ancestry did some digging on that side of their "tribal"
heritages.........rather than be ashamed of or negative towards a
part-British ancestry, perhaps....."

 A friend of mine is a nuu-chah-nulth hereditary chief, a young guy -
wawmeesh. although he comes from nuu-chah-nulth "royalty" (my
characterization) on both sides of his family, he also had an irish
grandpappy, and wawmeesh continues to put me to shame on matters of irish
history (i'm from an irish immigrant family and have claimed to know a thing
or two about these things). wawmeesh is particularly interested in the
cultural, legal and constitutional parallels between the pre-revolutionary
period in ireland and the present situation in b.c. today (i.e. the "indian
land question" in law having descended directly from the "irish land
question," the debates in both early-20th-century ireland and late 20th
century b.c. between the "pro-treaty" and "anti-treaty" factions, etc.)
lately, wawmeesh has taken to concluding his letters to me with "Tiocfaidh'
ar' la'," which is Irish gaelic for: Our Time Will Come.

 and god willing, it will.

 tg.