Mitchif vs. French vs. English

Lisa Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Sat Mar 6 17:24:26 UTC 1999

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 07:59:24 -0400 The McDonald Family <mcdonald at ISN.NET>
writes:

>>I've got a friend at church, born and raised in Oregon and a lifelong
NW USA >>resident, about my age, of mixed Scottish and Chehalis ancestry,
who has a slight >>Scottish burr in his speech; and it gets more marked
when he goes to the Highland >>Games.

>I can definitely believe that.

[lurk mode OFF]

Well, you know,  *I'm* Pacific Northwet born and raised <she says,
puffing her gills up self-importantly> and after spending a mere 8 months
around folks from south western Texas, I came home with a Texas twang
that *still* creeps into my speech from time to time and it's been 18
years.  And, if I'm around *any* one with the slightest accent, I pick it
up *that* fast.  I've heard it said that this is common because folks in
the NW US speak Broadcast English.