T.C. Elliott, "Journal of David Thompson"

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Mar 10 06:44:55 UTC 1999

At 09:32 PM 3/9/99 -0800, David Robertson wrote:
>page 62:  'Thloos, good, Kummertacks __ I understand or know it,
>Knick-me-week-no-se-ye, far off.  Pesheek, bad.'
>
>In order, the pronunciations I know for these words are:
>
>*Lush
>*kEmtEks
>*
>*p'ishaq
>
>The 3rd item puzzles me.  Does it contain /saya/ "far away"?  In any case,
>what are the initial four syllables?

I don't know what the '-no-' in the sequence might be - perhaps an
accidental English interpolation, or some kind of locally-use grammatical
particle (as would be the '-me-' in that case) - but the basic structure of
"naika wake siah" (I am not far; i.e. I'm close by) seems pretty clear.
Are there any local languages where there are grammatical particles
resembling this '-me-' and '-no-' within the circuit of Thompson's travels?

>This is from the Quarterly of the Oregon Historical Society, volume xv,
>number 1, March, 1914.
>
>Dave
>

> *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
>		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
>	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
>	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

Mike Cleven