Lilloet

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Mar 10 21:51:45 UTC 1999

At 12:56 PM 3/10/99 -0600, Alan H. Hartley wrote:
>The Hdbk N. Amer. Indians (XII.188) says of the name Lillooet:
>
>"Teit's..translation of lil'wat as 'wild onions' is incorrect; it
>appears that lil'wat is not analyzable"

I haven't read Teit in detail, so don't remember that bit; hadn't heard the
association of "lil'wat" with "wild onions"; only of "lillooet".  Still
leaves "end of the trail".....could it be, also, that Teit was in contact
with Lil'wat-speakers who told him this meaning, which since has faded from
memory and transmission to modern St'at'imcets?

Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com
http://members.home.net/ironmtn/

The thunderbolt steers all things.