Henry's followup: Early linguists using CJ w/native people?

Tue Mar 9 06:14:10 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm, pi wEXt hayash mersi khapa mayka, Henry,

You bring up a very good question, and you make me realize that I do not
know whether any other *early* linguists used CJ to communicate with their
indigenous informants.  Was Boas the first?  Did it take a while for the
practice to catch on?

Suggestions like yours, for research that needs to be done, are highly
valuable in our field.  (I think in a similar way of the many concise
statements in Kinkade & Czaykowska-Higgins' Salish linguistics volume, to
the effect that "little work has been done yet on such-and-such".)  I hope
that someone will do research on issues like the actual authorship and
conditions of composition of several early sources; not only Demers /
"Demers", but also materials such as the early Nootkan vocabularies.

Maybe on a vacation some time, you'll be able to write something up about
it!

Lhush pulakli...wek saya sItkEm pulakli.
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html