Henry's followup: Early linguists using CJ w/native people?(fwd)

Wed Mar 10 15:15:51 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 23:32:25 -0800
From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Henry's followup:  Early linguists using CJ w/native people?(fwd)

>  *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
>                     <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
>            http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
>            http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

Was Pe're Blanchet part of that diocese, not one of the Oblates?  Don't
know the history so exactly.  I'd tried contacting the Oblates about any
Jargon-era records and whatnot a couple of times; the one response I got
was from a fairly friendly and somewhat interested priest in Alaska who
referred me to the Mother House back East; no answer.

Could you reproduce some of the 'h' and 'r' words you're talking about,
please?  Interesting to see.

Mike C.

PS I gather the French document is only in the archive you mention.  I
can read the French; it's the old handwriting that's scary ;-)  Don't
suppose it's digitized and sendable?  Natch, of course not.