Tatoosh Island, Washington ... /tutush tunus-IlI7i/ (fwd)

Thu Mar 25 01:34:58 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:01:58 -0800
From: "Scott E. Tyler" <Scott.Tyler at multicare.org>
To: 'David Robertson' <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
Subject: RE: Tatoosh Island, Washington ... /tutush tunus-IlI7i/

It is interesting that an early Spanish expolorer noted the name of the
Chief living there as Tatoosh, this name still exists on Vancouver Island in
the Tatoosh family.  They are Nuchanulth, but the Makahs (Southern
Nuchanulth) did drive them off of the Tatoosh Island, and sent them to
Vancouver Island.
This may show that by 1792 there was some Chinook linguistic use in the
area.  Also, interesting is that Tatoosh means breast, it could also mean
point or prominance---Tatoosh Island is located at the tip of the Olympic
Peninsula which shaped  like a large breast.  Indians where quite familiar
with local geography.
The Makah also recently, challenged the University of Washington in court
for the ownership of the Island.  The US Coast guard had the Island for
Light House station, then gave it to the UW for a biology research station,
the Makah of course were willing to bring this to the US Supreme Court.  The
UW recinded.  The Makahs have let them use the Island as long as the Makah
have ownership.
Scott