Zeh, other authors, Boas, workshop

Tue May 11 06:03:35 UTC 1999

Klahaw.iam, Greg, pi msaika hloima tilikom,

1)  I'll gladly mail you a copy of the Zeh article on "Indian Shorthand
Writers..."

2)  I've never found evidence of anyone else's handwriting in the _Kamlups
Wawa_.  It's Le Jeune through and through.  But as I have found myself
mentioning to one of you lately, I have specimens of grave markers written
in Duployan CJ from British Columbia (in xerox form!).  Looks like other
people's handwriting, and I wish to write a paper about this; a field trip
to various Indian reserves in BC is highly desirable.

BTW, I'm planning a little paper for the CJ gathering this summer on the
advertisements I've found in CJ, almost all of which are from _KW_, and in
the first person, from Indians.  But that's as close as I've found to a
usurpation of Le Jeune's 'autocratic' (I'm joking) editorship.

3)  I'd give my eyeteeth to see that Boas reference in _KW_!  It'd be
worth a squib in a linguistics or anthro journal, and again, it's a great
desire of mine to do even more writing about CJ, especially _KW_.

4)  After coming anew to the subject upon reading Zvjezdana Vrzic's
contribution to last summer's International Conference on Salishan and
Neighboring Languages, I decided to teach Duployan CJ at our first Chinook
gathering in Mission, BC.  Lots of fun!  Folks did catch on very quickly,
and Emmett, a Portland schoolteacher, snapped photos of everybody standing
next to their Duployan names on the blackboard.  (Where are those
pictures?)  I'd gladly conduct such a session again, throwing in what I've
learned from protracted and intense linguistic study of _Kamlups Wawa_;
it's my strong feeling that _KW_ does represent a treasure-house of
knowledge that's many times more extensive than all other
surviving publications combined.

Cheers,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html