That Word Again

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Nov 1 06:55:27 UTC 1999

Okay, here it is, guys, a whole anthropology honors thesis with That
Jargon Word People Can't Stop Asking About in its title:

"Native American Berdache: A Symbol of Identification and Power for
Native and Non-Native Gay Men?"

http://departments.colgate.edu/soan/studentpapers/maldonado/contents.html

By Andrea Maldonado, and presented by Colgate's dept. of Sociology
and Anthropology.

While the concept and role of berdache in history and culture is the
topic of the paper, on a quick skim I could not find an explanation
of the origins of the word itself.  He does, however, quote an
anthropologist's definition of the term which might help explain a
lot:  "According to Callender and Kochems (1983: 443; 1986), a
berdache can be roughly defined as a morphological male who has a
non-masculine character, who does not fulfill a society's standard
man's role, and who assumes, for the most part, the dress,
occupations, and behavioral attributes of the other sex."

Somehow I do sort of remember hearing of this in years past in
connection with native life, relating to the occasional man who
remained at home to perform domestic support chores--not necessarily
a titillating sexual-orientation thing.  ("Uncle Bub" on "My Three
Sons," perhaps, if you will.)  But this paper's author does see
something deeper and much, much more complex.

The paper looks quite interesting, dealing thoughtfully with
identity, cultural and social issues, and of course it is for the
most part considerably over my head.  It should be fascinating
reading for scholars and serious students of native life as well as
those interested in social gender issues.

(No titters or postings about having been stationed in the Aleutians
during the war, please.)

Regards,

Jeff