Chinook Indians (fwd)

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Nov 18 10:01:47 UTC 1999

Hi, Dave.  Well, I have seen several interesting suggestions offered
here lately for the origin of "high muckamuck," but in my
recollection its meaning is a bit more specific, that is, one who is
important enough to have the honor of sitting at the chief's table,
or near the chief at meals.  This might be a back-formation or folk
etymology from the phrase's vernacular meaning in recent decades of
"big shot," but I remain persuaded it is authentic.

P.S.  I am curious to know what paper your friend found "Mike
Mailway" in.  I remember that column, but haven't seen it for many
years.  Maybe it was in one of the Seattle papers when I lived there.

Regards,

Jeff