Very Interesting New Book

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Nov 22 16:44:47 UTC 1999

Klahowya,

This is my first missive to the group; I've been a listener for several
months and enjoyed what I could understand.

My CJ is almost nil; apologies. All I have is the Shaw dictionary, so
the odd spellings are confusing.  Mostly I don't have much time to work
on CJ.

But, ......a book has recently been self published by Rick Rubin, 2147
NW Irving Street, Portland, Oregon 97210, Naked Against the Rain: The
People of the Lower Columbia River 1770-1830, hardcover, 431 pages,
$29.95 (probably should add $3.50 for postage).  Filled with footnotes
for references.  Clearly a labor of love.

It is the best book I've ever read to explain that sensitive period from

pre-contact to malaria wipe-out; centered on the Lewis and Clark
expedition, though not a big part of the book since they only stopped
through and didn't really enjoy their visit!  Has a chapter discussing
CJ, but more importantly for those of us who live in the area it has
extensive discussion of where different villages were, and generally how

life was lived by both natives and "floats-ashores".  It should be must
reading for all who live in the lower Columbia.  It is both scholarly
and sensitively written, which is unusual.

I'm buying 11 more for holiday presents for friends. Hope others of you
find it of interest!  It should also be at Powell's Books in Portland.

Aron Faegre
Willamette River mile 19.5