Can you identify these fish? (_Kamloops Wawa_) (fwd)

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Oct 22 19:53:40 UTC 1999

At 05:28 PM 10/21/99 -0700, David Robertson wrote:
> *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
>		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
>	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
>	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

I don't think it matters which "exact fish" it is; probably it would vary
depending on which part of the Thompson/Nlaka'pmx country you were in.
There are (AFAIK) neither whitefish nor squawfish in the Fraser-Thompson
canyon areas from Boston Bar up to Spences Bridge; mostly because there are
no lakes other than a small few in the high alpine, just cataractic streams
as well as the Fraser itself; I don't know about Botanie Lake, but it's a
bit of an anomaly anyway.  In the Nicola-Coldwater Plateau (from the
Coquihalla Summit up over to Quilchena and Douglas Lakes, and down towards
Princeton) there are numerous lakes with a similar habitat; I think I've
heard of squawfish there; don't know about whitefish.  But probably the
term would apply to whichever of these fish were found in a band's
locality, or both (maybe they are similar in appearance or size?).....