Levi Ankeny's translation

Linda Fink linda at FINK.COM
Tue Oct 26 17:09:24 UTC 1999

Okay, I'll make a stab at this, just to show how many misunderstandings I
would have had trying to communicate in Jargon!

>"Mica wake potlatch nika mimaloose, moose moose, ocke illehe cop a nica,

Don't kill me, cow, this land of mine,

>Boston man wake close Boston man capsuallow nica illehe, wake potlatch

Boston Man is no good. Boston man steals my land, doesn't give

>sublil, mica hiu olo, nica wawa, mica clatawa, wake mitlite ocoke illehe,

me bread, I am very hungry. You tell me to go away, don't stay in this land,

>mica wake clatawa, nica mameloose mooge, moos, mameloose cuitan mameloose

I will not go away, I will kill mooge (?), cow, horse of Boston man.

>Boston man.  Wake mica potlatch sublil, mica potlatch chickamin, nica

You do not give me bread, give me money, I

>clatawa tum water, nich ischum shut, nica ischum iknuse, nica ischum

go to the waterfall, I take shirt, I take (iknuse?), I take

>sublil.  Old man doctor hias close tillicum, hias close tumtim, wawa nica,

bread. Old man doctor very good person, very good heart, tell me

>charco tum water mica potlatch sublil, nica potlatch chickamin."

I go waterfall give me bread, give me money.

I think we would have needed to know the context a little better to figure
out what's going on. At least, I would have!

Linda Fink   linda at fink.com
http://www.fink.com/linda/teenagers/   http://www.fink.com/farm/5.html