Hale on the Web

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Sep 9 13:05:54 UTC 1999

Klahowya, tillikums!  I got the "combined vocabulary" part of Shaw
fixed up.  (This is the index to his main vocabulary list combined
with his "supplemental vocabulary," which doesn't appear in his book
but makes reference easier.  It is presented as a separate section.)
So, aside from late proofreading corrections (you're all carrying a
copy around with you to check in your spare time, aren't you?), Shaw
is finished.

Feeling "pumped" after getting Shaw up, I downloaded the page images
of Hale's "International Idiom" dictionary from the U Toronto library
(via www.canadiana.org).  (It's also in the Portland library, but I
still don't get around real well.  And they did beautiful scans.)  I
then wondered how long it would take me to clean up the OCR (or if it
would even OCR), so I simply tidied up the page images and figured
out a way to present them with a whizzy, convenient navigation bar
similar to that used for Gibbs and Shaw.  It's slower but it works.
It's also kind of an experiment, but it only took a day to do, versus
weeks for an HTML conversion.

www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6460/hale.htm

(The navigation bar plus the page image is almost 800 pixels wide, so
those of you still running 640x480 screens won't be able to see the
full width of a page without scrolling.  If this is your situation,
simply select the "non-Javascript version" menu; it's crude, but will
display the page images across the full width of your screen.)

See my notes at the end for instructions on printing pages, and a
*very* experimental technique for (maybe) printing the whole thing at
once.

Next:  Demers!

Regards,

Jeff