skookumchuck

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Sat Apr 1 21:15:53 UTC 2000

Mike Cleven wrote:

> >From: David Lewis <coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
>

> >I think I heard that Coos Bay was called Skookumchuck at one time also.
>
> Would that be because of the big breakers in that area, or is there a
> rushing river nearby?

I do some work at the South Slough [of Coos Bay] Estuarine Research Reserve
and will be there at the Interpretive Center next Tuesday -- I'll see if
they've seen the term in any historical documents.  The river is not fast
flowing at all, but of course tides going in and out can be strong.  Taking
a canim out into the ocean would be a big deal too as the coast line is not
friendly if you missed the channel [hmm even hyas canim like the New
Carisa].

Aron.